Thursday, January 23, 2014

Courtney Marie Andrews

As I mentioned yesterday, we went to see Damien Jurado last night, and it was really great and I will write more about it later. Right now, I want to tell you all about his opening act, Courtney Marie Andrews, a really wonderful guitar player with a voice straight out of classic sixties folk, high and pure and fluttery with vibrato like Joan Collins, just enough grit to remind you, intermittently, of Joan Baez. Jurado called her "my favorite living artist," strong words and further than I would go, personally, but she was very, very good. She's also sort of adorable with her long bangs and her fumble-y small talk as she retunes between almost every song (big fan of alternate tunings apparently). She seems about 15 until she opens her mouth and then she could be any age at all.


Here's the bandcamp. Check it out.


If you like Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen, people like that, you should definitely give this a try.

No comments: