Sunday, September 22, 2013

Kill Yourself Dancing

This is totally out of character for me -- you know devote of mopey indie rock, drone, freak folk and 1960s garage -- but I cannot stop listening to the two-disc compilation Kill Yourself Dancing: The Story of Sunset Records. Inc. 1985-1989. It's a collection of early Chicago house music about which I know absolutely zilch, except that if you like that song "Pump Up the Volume" you will probably like this. Some of the tracks go on and on and on, which of course, brings me back to NYC in the mid-1980s and Danceteria, the Palladium, etc. where they could stretch a Madonna song out for several days...I was never really that into the whole beautiful people thing, but I went a few times with my roommate (who worked for Ralph Lauren and got invited to everything), and it was interesting but never exactly pleasant...

Yeah, so I've got nothing on this recording, no one-sheet, no liner notes, no clue, except for this pretty good article in the Chicago Reader , which you should probably read if you're really interested in context.

You don't need the context, though. It's pretty self-explanatory.



Did I mention "Pump Up the Volume"? I think I did.

No comments: