Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lapalux

Really liking the new album from Stuart Howard a.k.a. Lapalux, Nostalchic, out March 25th on Flying Lotus' Brainfeeder label. ...it's chilled and slinky and evocative in a way that reminds me of Burial, How to Dress Well...I'm not really that knowledgeable about electronic music, though, so you shouldn't take my word for it.

There's a really interesting interview with Howard here, where he goes some way to explain his philosophy and aims as follows:

“I focus so much attention on the detail it actually drives me insane sometimes,” Howard explains. “I like to make music people can listen to several times and still find something new, buried in there somewhere. I enjoy complexities and getting immersed in sound so you forget who and where you are. I like to focus on moments in my music instead of alternating sections and formulaic structure. Like having little moments where a massive bass drum swallows up the mix or little pitch/ time slips here and there. I hate anything that sounds too perfect. Biology is massively complex and never perfect. I like that idea and enforce it in my music.”

Or screw explaining, maybe you should just have a listen? This video is giving me a little American Horror Story frisson...






No comments: