Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Veda Rays

Another pretty good record I almost missed...the first from Brooklyn-based Veda Rays, Gamma Rays Galaxy Rays Veda Rays, which seems to have come out at some point last year and has probably been sitting on top of my desk for months. It reminds me a lot of Achtung Baby-era U2...yes, that large in scale and ambition, though obviously recorded with far fewer resources. You can also draw connections to more critically-accepted bands like Spaceman 3 and Radiohead. (and, by the way, for the record, I kind of like U2 in small doses and up through about Achtung Baby)

"Honey Pot" is probably the album's best, dark and clattery and gothy in the verse, but reaching out of the murk, occasionally, for triumphant Bunnyman-ish climaxes. It's the video, too.

2 comments:

Jim Stark said...

Thanks for the write up, Jennifer! Nice one. We just tweeted it.

jenniferpkelly said...

You're welcome. Just so you know, I asked about reviewing it for Blurt, but it might be too late...I haven't heard back.