Friday, January 14, 2011

The Beets...I'm so far behind I'm ahead now

I've been listening to the Beets first album Spit in the Face of People Who Don't Want to Be Cool for the last couple of weeks, part of my listen to everything that's blocking my floor path to the bathroom initiative...and god-damn, it's a helluva a fun record. It makes people like Ty Segall and early Jay Reatard sound positively hi-fi, but get beneath the fuzz and there some great little pop songs below, block simple, unpretentious and absolutely a good time. So, anyway, I am about a year late (this is how long I've been letting records spill out of the two giant bins and take up residence on the floor), but that actually puts me slightly ahead of the curve, because the Beets have a new record out. It's called Stay Home and Dusted's Evan Hanlon liked it a lot.

I don't have the new album, and it's too late to review it, so who would send it to me? But here's a video from the first one, which is somewhere at the fulcrum that balances brilliant and really stupid.

IT's called "Why Should I Live If I DOn't Fit?"


They also did Daytrotter this summer, which you can check out here.

No comments: