Monday, September 20, 2010

I like Clinic…but I like it better when it’s really Clinic

Took a new band called Suuns to task for sounding a little too much like one of my favorite bands in this review, up last Friday at Blurt.

Suuns never really establishes its own consistent sound, until, near the end, the band settles on an aesthetic of jittery, robot-funky beats, murmured vocals, and repetitive keyboard riffs. It's entertaining, but unfortunately sounds awfully familiar. "PVC", in particular, is a dead ringer for "The Return of Evil Bill", while "Organ Blues" cuts almost as close to "Goodnight Georgie," Obviously, no one's got a patent on beat-driven, groove-stuttering, reverbed pop, and if Suuns wants to do this, god bless. Just be aware that there's an elephant in the room, and it's wearing a surgical mask.

more

You can download the whole thing for free, if you want. You have to go here and enter your email address to get it.



Have any of you seen the French movie A Prophet?...we watched it over the weekend...really gripping story about an Arab boy who goes to prison and makes enough connections there to start his own hashish dealing business.

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I saw it in the theatre awhile ago and really liked it. I'm a sucker for French films, but this one really impressed me. I liked how it handled the different groups and claustrophobic spaces, but the personal drama of it was gripping. I'd certainly watch it again.

jenniferpkelly said...

Yes, i thought it was really gripping, too, and the two leads, the young man and Luciani, were really good as well. though I'm not sure I bought the plot entirely.