Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mary Halvorson

So, one of the things I do every week, or mostly every week, is write the short bios that go in front of Dusted’s Listed features. It’s a bit of a challenge sometimes, because maybe half to a third of the time, I’ve never heard of the band, and if I have, I don’t know that much about them. Still, it’s not a huge amount of work, really, and I kind of like it because it forces me to go out and find some tracks by a bunch of generally very interesting artists. The Free Music Archive is helpful in this regard, and since no one is running anything with my byline today, I thought I’d share a long free-jazz improvisation from Mary Halvorson, Ingrid Laubrock and Tom Rainey, which I stumbled upon in exactly this way. It was recorded about a year ago at the Issue Project Room.

No comments: